Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Building Fluency

Today I sent everyone home with a photocopied story. This is a story we read in class in small groups (except the Celtics group that will be doing it tomorrow with me) that I would like them to practice reading at home. I am always talking to them about reading and re-reading texts to build fluency. Fluency means that the story or passage is read accurately and with expression. I talk to them about chunking groups of words so that it is more like a conversation as opposed to being choppy or "robot-like." My hope is to send more and more stories home for your child to practice and build fluency with. Please encourage your child to read to a family member and I always tell the that most stuffed animals like to be read to as well. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

 

No comments: