Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Brrrrr!!

It looks like Winter has definitely arrived! For the second day in a row we had indoor recess due to the cold temperatures so today I pulled out some board games to change things up. The K2ers LOVED all the board games that were put out for indoor recess time. Board games are so important to play for many reasons...they teach important social skills as well as turn taking, logic and reasoning, and critical thinking.

Here are some pictures of the K2ers in the midst of playing the games.

Also, playing board games can be such a fun and inexpensive family activity! At my house, my kids love Family Game Night. (And I don't mean Family Game Night at the ice rink!!) Their favorites at the moment are "Clue" and "Sorry."

It was great listening to the K2ers as they played the games today during indoor recess. I think that even when we have outdoor recess, I am going to make a point to put out board games more often for Free Choice time at the end of the day.

 

3 comments:

PaleBlueDot said...

We played Sorry last night. Our 2nd grade son has had a milestone in that he can FINALLY play a board game without tears if he is losing. He even helped our K2'er to win by knocking mom back instead of Ani in order to lift her spirits. Funny! A month ago she could have cared less about winning and he'd be upset and now it seems the tides are turning...here we go again!

Unknown said...

Sounds just like my house! :)

Unknown said...

We play a lot of board games at our house. Alex loves playing them. I just found a large checker board set that we have. I noticed in the photos that you have one also and Alex is playing it. :)