Friday, January 13, 2017

Week in Review ~ January 9th - 13th

It was another busy and fun week in K2! In ELA we started Unit 5 where we discussed what living things need to grow. Our vocabulary words were require, plant, harmful, soak and crowd. We discussed that a plant has roots, a stem and leaves and that it uses the roots to suck up food and water from the soil and the stem acts like a straw. We also did a science experiment with celery placed in red colored water.  We listened to the stories My Garden  and Growing Plants. The letter we focused in on this week was Hh and the sight word my was introduced.  We also worked on writing narrative stories. We talked about the process that an author follows to write a book and how they start with a plan. We will continue with this skill and move onto different types of writing as we go such as opinion pieces.
In Math we continued with Topic 6 on Addition. I am very impressed with how well the K2ers are understanding this concept.

I also introduced a new game called "Bump It" which once again this year seems to be a favorite. Have your K2er explain to you how to play the game.  I have MANY variations of the game (addition, sight words, letters, nonsense words, etc...) so as the rest of the year goes I will be introducing more and more of the games.

Back in the fall I put in a request on Donorschoose.org for iPads for K2 and unfortunately my request was not fully funded in the allotted time frame. I have decided to try again for "iPads for Our Class." The great thing is  that for the next 7 days any donation up to $50.00 will be matched dollar for dollar. Feel free to share with any family or friends who's business may be interested in making a donation. Thank you in advance!


Donors Choose ~ iPads for Our Class

As a reminder, there is no school on Monday in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr Day.  Today the K2ers listened to a story about MLK, Jr and then wrote about what they dream about to make our world a better place.  I showed them a picture I took of the memorial I saw this summer in Washington D.C. so I thought I'd share it with you in case you haven't seen it before.


Enjoy the long weekend!

No comments: